Writing Prompt: What’s in a Song?
This writing prompt is simple. Pick a song title and use it as the title for writing a short story, poem, or essay.Not every title will work for you. Pick the ones that immediately fire your imagination to write.
Concentrate only on the song title. What story can you write to fit this title?* * Ask yourself questions about WHO and WHAT.
* Choose a tone—humorous, scary, irritating?
* What’s the main issue or conflict?
* What’s the setting? Trendy city bar, the mean streets, a farm in some remote area, yoga retreat, or a tropical island?
Different ways to use a song tile
* Write a very short story, 200-500 words.
* Don’t write a story, but sketch a plot and climax.
* Write a draft opinion piece or reminiscence.
* Freewrite in your journal.
* Use the title in a writing group, sharing different interpretations and approaches.
* Use the song title as a title or a first line of a poem.
The Boy Is Mine
You’re Still The One
Truly Madly Deeply
How Do I Live
All My Life
Nice and Slow
I Don’t Want To Wait
Need You Tonight
Got My Mind Set On You
Sweet Child O’ Mine
Roll With It
How Deep Is Your Love
Baby Come Back
Love Is Blue
All I Have to Do is Dream
Book of Love