The Blog & I
The Blog and I
I started this blog as a way to explore and share writing issues. I am interested in how personal experience can connect with, shape and provide lessons about writing and creativity.
- My current writing project–a nonfiction work about solitude and nature–stems from my adventure in Dec-Jan 2011, as a resident artist (writing) on Maatsuyker Island, a small, isolated speck of land off the south coast of Tasmania. I enjoy writing short stories. A number of my academic articles have been published, and I am co-author of a researched-based book on organisational writing.
- I chair the board of directors at Varuna The Writers’ House, in Katoomba, New South Wales, Australia. Varuna provides a residency for writers, plus a range of writing activities and awards.
- I was born and raised in Kansas but Australia is my home. I am a cultural hybrid, and this creative tension shapes my writing.
- Most of my career has been in education. I have worked as a writer, editor, researcher, educator, and educational manager. Before moving into education, I held a variety of jobs: bookshop manager, social/equity trainer, tutor for under-achievers, manager of a storefront school for ’incorrigible’ teens, and assistant in a centre for the chronically mentally ill. My very first job, at age 15, included operating an amusement park ride and running–but failing to master–the fairy floss (cotton candy) machine. (I’ve never been able to eat the stuff since then.)
- My research and teaching areas included document design, culture and communication, and computer-based education.
Qualifications: BA and MA literature, Graduate Diploma communication management, and PhD text linguistics.
Contactable at: marsha dot s dot durham at gmail dot com